Swami Satchidananda said about yoga lifestyle:
"When you do something, do it with one hundred percent of the mind. Don’t do it half way. Whatever you do, do it with full concentration. That is Yoga. It’s not that you are just going into a corner, sitting with the spine erect and then doing some japa (recitation of mantras) or some breathing and that is Yoga. My Yoga is everything. All that you do is Yoga. When you start doing something, do only that — one hundred percent that. "Yogaha karmasu kaushalam", the Bhagavad Gita says. That means perfection in your every action is Yoga."
Like the quote shows, Yoga is a holistic science which is not just about physical poses to improve your body. It`s more a Yoga lifestyle that integrates all aspects of our daily life with the goal of balancing body, mind and soul. Yoga shows you a way of living that can enhance the quality of your life if you integrate it into yours. The philosophy of Yoga is about the principles of healthy attitude so that it is worth to know more about it.
The wise Indian man Patanjali described in the Yoga Sutra the eight aspects of a Yoga Lifestyle, which are named the Eight Limbs of Yoga. Applying these eight aspects you develop yourself-knowledge, your attitude towards people, animals and nature, your nutrition and your union with the divine. The Eight Limbs are:
- Yama: Universal morality
- Niyama: Inner observances
- Asanas: Physical poses
- Pranayama: Breath control
- Pratyahara: Withdrawal of the senses
- Dharana: Unbending concentration of mind
- Dhyana: Deep meditation on the divine
- Samadhi: Union with the Divine
- Ahimsa: Non-violence, acts of kindness
- Satya: Truthfulness without harming others
- Asteya: Non-stealing of objects and ideas, non-possession
- Brahmacharya: Moderation in everything
- Aparigraha: Non-possessiveness
- Shaucha: Inner and outer cleanliness (body, mind and personal surrounding)
- Santosha: Contentment with yourself and your belongings
- Tapas: Austerity as self-discipline in body, speech and mind
- Svadhyaya: Study of yourself through self-inquiry and self-examination
- Ishvarapranidhana: Living with an awareness of the divine
Respecting these ten principles of Yama and Niyama and practicing asanas, pranayama and meditation will improve your quality of life a lot. Start with little steps, so you want get frustrated, nobody can change his or her life in little time. But adapting yourself step by step to a Yoga lifestyle will make you feel the difference. Many people find it easier to change their habits if they are in another surrounding than their normal day life´s - for example during yoga retreats. The special about Yoga retreats is that you can try to live a Yoga Lifestyle there. You´ve got a lot of Yoga, peaceful atmosphere with other yogis, quiet location, nature and healthy nutrition- a perfect combination to try new things and start with a different routine. Here on Yoga on holiday we list yoga retreats for all needs – doesn´t matter if you look for an ashram in India, yoga center in Europe or a hotel nearby...
Have you already browsed through the Yoga retreats here on Yoga on holiday? If not, find now with our search engine a plenty of great Yoga retreats worldwide!